Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank lists inaugural bond on London Stock Exchange
- AIIB prices $2.5 billion inaugural bond
- Proceeds dedicated to improving social and economic outcomes across Emerging Asia
- 82 sovereigns, supranationals and agency (SSA) bonds have listed in London to date in 2019, raising a total of $44.2 billion
London Stock Exchange today welcomes the inaugural bond from the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), the multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. The bond, which priced on 9 May, will list on London Stock Exchange’s Main Market on 17 May. Proceeds from the $2.5 billion bond will be used to develop debt capital markets for infrastructure; enhance infrastructure as an asset class; and promote Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) investment principles in Emerging Asia.
To celebrate the listing, Jin Liqun, President, AIIB; The Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer; and Don Robert, Chairman, LSEG opened trading in London this morning. Sir Danny Alexander, Vice President and Corporate Secretary, AIIB; and Thierry de Longuemar, Vice President and CFO of AIIB also attended the ceremony.
Jin Liqun, President, AIIB, said:
“Increased multilateralism through cooperation, connectivity and investment in sustainable infrastructure is integral to all our futures. The AIIB has already grown to 97 members since we began operations in 2016 and I’m delighted to mark the occasion of our debut bond in the UK – a founding member.”
The Rt Hon Philip Hammond, Chancellor of the Exchequer, HM Treasury, said:
“AIIB’s decision to list its inaugural bond in London is further evidence of the City’s enduring place as the centre for international capital. It is a vote of confidence in the UK as the leading global financial centre and as a great place to do business.”
Don Robert, Chairman, London Stock Exchange Group, said:
“We are pleased to welcome AIIB’s inaugural bond to London Stock Exchange and congratulate them on their first step into international capital markets. London is a leading centre of finance for sovereign and supranational issuers looking to access international capital markets to finance sustainable infrastructure projects and we’re delighted to be host to AIIB today.”
To date, London Stock Exchange has welcomed 1,471 bonds from supranational issuers, raising $410.2 billion. It remains well positioned to support innovative structures, such as green and sustainable bonds, on its markets.
- 25 of AIIB’s 97-member countries have issued bonds on London Stock Exchange
- There are currently 585 active sovereigns, supranationals and agencies (SSA) bonds listed in London, from 13 different issuers in 34 currencies
- 82 SSA issuances have listed on London Stock Exchange so far in 2019, raising a total $44.2 billion
- London has continued to develop dedicated funding channels such as our green bond and local currency segments, where increasing levels of capital are being raised to finance sustainable infrastructure projects. These include issues from China, India, Indonesia and Fiji, just in the last year
- Ends -
For further information:
+44 (0)20 7797 1222