|Go to market news section|
Rolls-royce wins $800M order from srilankan airlines
Rolls-Royce has won an $800m order, at list prices, from SriLankan Airlines for Trent XWB engines to power four A350-900 aircraft and Trent 700 engines to power six A330-300 aircraft. The contract includes long-term TotalCare® service support.
This order marks SriLankan Airlines' first selection of the A350 XWB aircraft and the Trent 700-powered A330s, will join the airline's current fleet of seven aircraft.
Kapila Chandrasena, Chief Executive Officer, SriLankan Airlines, said: "The Trent XWB is already demonstrating excellent operational and environmental performance and we look forward to it powering our aircraft. We have been very impressed with the Trent 700's record in service, and the engine was the natural choice for our A330 fleet expansion. TotalCare will allow us to maximise engine use, improving our operational performance."
Bruce Blythe, Rolls-Royce Senior Vice President - Customers, said: "We are delighted that SriLankan Airlines has become a new customer for the Trent XWB, which has already proven itself to be the most efficient engine flying today. We are also pleased this valued customer has continued to place its confidence in the Trent 700 and the comprehensive service support we deliver."
In 2012, the two companies marked 50 years of Rolls-Royce engines powering SriLankan Airlines and its predecessors, Air Ceylon and Air Lanka.
The Trent XWB, specifically designed for the Airbus A350 XWB, is the fastest selling Trent engine ever, with more than 1,300 already sold. The Airbus A350 XWB took to the skies for the first time on Friday, 14 June.
The Trent 700 is the only engine specifically designed for the Airbus A330 and more than 1,400 Trent 700 engines are either in service or on order. The engine is the market leader on the Airbus A330 and has won 70 per cent of new orders over the last four years.
Notes to Editors:
1. More than 90 per cent of Trent engine orders include TotalCare® services support which maximises engine availability, helping operators to improve operational performance and reliability. Services accounted for more than 50 per cent of Rolls-Royce civil aerospace revenue in 2012.
2. Rolls-Royce is a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, and has established a strong position in global markets - civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy.
3. As a result of this strategy, Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising more than 300 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in more than 80 countries.
4. Annual underlying revenue was £12.2 billion in 2012, of which more than half came from the provision of services. The firm and announced order book stood at £60.1 billion at 31 December 2012, providing visibility of future levels of activity.
5. Rolls-Royce employs over 45,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in over 50 countries. Over 14,000 of these employees are engineers.
6. In 2012, Rolls-Royce invested £919 million on research and development, two thirds of which had the objective of further improving the environmental performance of its products, in particular reducing emissions.
7. Rolls-Royce supports a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which connect the company's engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
8. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.
For further information, please contact:
Tel +44 (0) 20 7227 9237
|London Stock Exchange plc is not responsible for and does not check content on this Website. Website users are responsible for checking content. Any news item (including any prospectus) which is addressed solely to the persons and countries specified therein should not be relied upon other than by such persons and/or outside the specified countries. Terms and conditions, including restrictions on use and distribution apply.|
|©London Stock Exchange plc. All rights reserved|