|Go to market news section|
25 February 2013
Origo Partners enter into JV in Myanmar
Origo Partners PLC ("Origo") is pleased to announce the formation of a new joint venture company ("the Joint Venture") with Serge Pun & Associates (Myanmar) Limited ("SPA"), one of Myanmar's leading conglomerates, to identify investment opportunities across the natural resources and other sectors in Myanmar. Following the start of liberalisation in Myanmar, the country has the potential to become a significant supplier of goods and raw materials to global markets, in particular China, and it is hoped that the Joint Venture will enable Origo to capture this opportunity.
The Joint Venture, SPA Origo Myanmar Holding Co Pte Ltd, will be owned 50:50 by Origo and SPA, and will benefit from the combination of Origo's transactional and strategic expertise, as well as SPA's extensive financial and operational experience in Myanmar. The Joint Venture will initially focus on opportunities in metals and minerals exploration, specifically in copper, gold, nickel and other mineral deposits and is undertaking country wide geological mapping. In addition, business opportunities are also being reviewed in the broader natural resources sector, particularly in agriculture with SPA's affiliate Yoma Strategic Holdings Limited. It is anticipated that once opportunities are identified, both Origo and SPA will make investments either directly or through affiliates or funds.
Origo has been present in Myanmar for the past 14 months and, following considerable research and investigation, we are confident that the country will present attractive opportunities in the medium-term. Myanmar has undergone significant transformation since 2010 taking initial steps towards the creation of a democratic state, ranging from the release of political prisoners, lifting of censorship laws and the redrafting of the foreign investment law. The Government is working hard to drive reform across all sectors, and has received support from the international community with the suspension of US and EU sanctions and high profile visits by international leaders.
The Joint Venture's Board will consist of Luke Leslie, Head of Mining Investments at Origo who will oversee the Joint Venture, Chris Rynning, CEO of Origo, Mr Serge Pun, Chairman of SPA and Mr Melvyn Pun CEO of SPA who will become Chairman of the Joint Venture.
The Joint Venture will be headquartered in Yangon, Myanmar within SPA's offices allowing it access to infrastructural and logistical support. To effectively explore opportunities, Origo will redeploy a number of staff to support the existing team.
Commenting on today's announcement Chris Rynning, CEO of Origo said:
"The Joint Venture represents an excellent opportunity to strengthen our presence in Myanmar, at a time when the country is undergoing a period of rapid transformation and opening up to foreign investment. Despite this transformation there remain many risks to investing in a country dominated by the military and with little infrastructure.
However, the strategic partnership with SPA, one of Myanmar's most well established companies, coupled with the progress our team made on the ground in 2012 in understanding the local investment environment, positions us well to take advantage of opportunities as the country continues to reform and moves towards democracy."
Origo Partners PLC
Broker and Nominated Advisor to OPP:
Liberum Capital Limited
Simon Atkinson/ Richard Bootle
+44 (0)20 3100 2222
Andy Mills / Nina Legge
+44 (0)20 7321 0000
Notes to editors:
· Origo is an AIM-listed private equity investor and strategic consultancy business which provides its shareholders with exposure to China-linked investment opportunities.
· Based in Beijing, Origo has a significant portfolio of investments in a range of industrial sectors, including metals and mining, agriculture, renewable energy/clean tech and technology, telecom and media.
· Origo invests directly in high growth Chinese companies as well as in companies based around the world with significant exposure to Chinese export markets.
· Origo has a wholly-owned Mongolian subsidiary in Ulaanbaatar, providing corporate finance and advisory services to local investee and non-investee companies seeking to raise development funds and to assist portfolio companies in their development.
Serge Pun & Associates (Myanmar) Ltd
· SPA is a privately held company with direct or indirect investments through its subsidiaries and affiliates in the real estate, automobile, financial services, manufacturing, trading and agricultural sectors in Myanmar.
· SPA is an affiliate of Yoma Strategic Holdings Limited, a Singapore company listed on the Main Board of the Singapore Securities Exchange Trading limited (SGX-ST), and First Myanmar Investment Company Limited ("FMI"), a Myanmar incorporated public company.
|London Stock Exchange plc is not responsible for and does not check content on this Website. Website users are responsible for checking content. Any news item (including any prospectus) which is addressed solely to the persons and countries specified therein should not be relied upon other than by such persons and/or outside the specified countries. Terms and conditions, including restrictions on use and distribution apply.|
|©London Stock Exchange plc. All rights reserved|