LSEG Response to the EU Commission Consultation on the Regulation of Indices
The London Stock Exchange Group has provided a response to the Commission's consultation on regulation of indices. In our response, we make the following points:
1. Any proposed regulatory regime should cover:
- Effective governance arrangements;
- Clear and accepted methodology;
- Transparency at all stages; and
- Appropriate arrangements for regulatory oversight, where necessary.
2. Manipulation and providing false or misleading information should be an offence.
3. Regulation should be directed at the financial products and their use, rather than the indices themselves.
4. Relevant key industry standard indices should be subject to non-exclusive licensing arrangements – to prevent risk concentration, increase transparency and promote provision of competitive services in trading and clearing.
LSEG Response to the EU Consultation on the Regulation of Indices(file pdf - 427 KB)