Press releases 2012
London Stock Exchange welcomes 1,000th exchange traded product
- UBS lists record number of ETFs in single day
- Value traded since first London ETF listing exceeds £500bn
More than 1,000 Exchange Traded Products (ETPs) are now listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange (LSE). Since the launch of London’s first ETF in 2000, its range of products has grown to include 643 ETFs, 316 ETCs and 46 ETNs. The 1,005 products are offered by 17 separate issuers.
The milestone was reached today as UBS listed 64 new ETFs on LSE, the largest number ever admitted to trading in a single day.1 The range of products offers investors exposure to a wide range of indices, including those licensed by FTSE, MSCI, Standard&Poor’s, Markit iBoxx and Euro STOXX. The indices track European, American, Asian and emerging market equities; as well as fixed income and commodity markets.
- This month, the total value of ETPs traded on LSE since their launch surpassed £500 billion.2
- So far this year, 74 ETFs and 14 ETCs have admitted to the London market.
- Across its markets in London and Milan, LSE Group now sees the highest ETP trading volume of any European exchange.3
Pietro Poletto, Head of ETPs at London Stock Exchange Group, said:
“When we look at Exchange Traded Products over the last twelve years we see a fantastic story of growth and diversification. There are now over a thousand products traded on LSE, offering investors instant, flexible exposure to a vast range of underlyings including benchmark indices, emerging markets, equities, bonds, oil, metals, livestock and currencies.
“UBS’s new funds further strengthen London’s vibrant ETP marketplace, the most diversified of its kind in Europe.”
- ends -
For further information please contact:
Jonny Blostone Press Office +44 (0)20 7797 1222
Notes to editors:
1. The listing follows the recent admission of two ETFs from UBS, making for a total suite of 66 products.
2. The cumulative total value traded in ETPs reached £500 billion in June 2012, and was £500.8 billion as of 26 June 2012:
3. In April 2012 LSE Group was awarded the Global ETF Award® for largest European exchange by volume.
About London Stock Exchange Group:
London Stock Exchange Group (LSE.L) sits at the heart of the world’s financial community. The Group operates a broad range of international equity, bond and derivatives markets, including London Stock Exchange; Borsa Italiana; MTS, Europe's leading fixed income market; and Turquoise, offering UK and Russian derivatives trading, pan-European and US lit and dark equity trading. Through its markets, the Group offers international business unrivalled access to Europe’s capital markets.
The Group is a leading developer of high performance trading platforms and capital markets software and also offers its customers around the world access to an extensive range of real-time and reference data products and market-leading post-trade services. The Group is also home to a world leading index provider FTSE, which creates and manages over 200,000 equity, bond and alternative asset class indices.
Headquartered in London, United Kingdom with significant operations in Italy and Sri Lanka, the Group employs around 1,900 people.
Further information on London Stock Exchange Group can be found at www.londonstockexchangegroup.com