Press releases 1999
PAINT THE FUTURE OF YOUR SAVINGS -
A BIRMINGHAM SCHOOLS COMPETITION
Schools equipment and children's voucher prizes to be won.
During the week of 20 June the stock market comes to the Midlands.
Designed to show how easy it is to invest in shares and demonstrate the long term benefits of including shares as part of our savings, the BIRMINGHAM SHARE AWARE WEEK will include events of interest for everyone.
And at a time when we are being encouraged to learn about the importance of saving from an early stage, children are also being invited to participate in the week.
School children from throughout Birmingham are being invited to paint a picture of what they are saving for in the future and the winning entries will pick up prizes for themselves and their schools donated by schools' equipment supplier Novara and share dealing firm Halifax Share Dealing.
mpetition is structured for two age groups: 5-7 year olds and 8-11 year olds. The prizes include:
8-11 year olds:
1st prize 1,000 schools equipment from Novara
100 token for the winner
2nd prize 750 schools equipment from Novara
75 token for the winner
3rd prize 500 schools equipment from Novara
50 token for the winner
5-7 year olds:
1st prize 500 for the school sponsored by Halifax
100 token for the winner sponsored by the London Stock Exchange
2nd prize 300 for the school sponsored by the London Stock Exchange
75 token for the winner
The prizes will be presented by Alvin Hall, American personal finance guru, and star of three BBC television programmes, at the Stock Market Exhibition to be held at the Birmingham Grand Hotel on 26 June in front of an audience of local companies and stockbrokers.
We hope that children in your school will be interested in participating in the competition and help spread the word about the importance of saving.
If you have any further questions on the competition please contact Rachel Maguire on 0121 236 9181.
5-7 year olds
The challenge: It is important to save for the future because .
Draw/paint a picture of what you would like to save your money for in the future.
8-11 year olds
The challenge: I am saving my money because .
In two paragraphs, explain what you would like to save your money for in the future and draw a picture to back up your idea.
- The closing date for entries is Monday 21 June
- Winners announced on 26 June at the Stock Market Exhibition, Birmingham Grand Hotel
- The competition is open to all children between the ages of 5-11 year olds
- Children may draw their pictures in the classroom or at home but the picture must be their own work. Tracing from a photograph or picture is not allowed. The size of entries must be no larger than A3. Entries may be drawn in any medium e.g. paint, crayons, pastels etc.
- The decision of the judges will be final
- The London Stock Exchange will not return any entries
- Name address, age and contact details (home or school) must be clearly written on the back of all entries
Please return all entries to:
London Stock Exchange
Old Broad Street
London EC2N 1HP